Penguin Final Version

 




Here is the final model for my penguin design! After taking in everyone's feedback I remade my design in order to optimize it.

I was able to get the head attached because I split the body in two halves first, and attached the head to one half. The other half of the body was wedged in, and then glued together. I wasn't able to do this last time so I added a permanent hole at the bottom of the design that I could get my hand through to the inside and glue the flaps together. I had a lot of challenge with that as I didn't want to change the design too much from the original, so the hole had to be small. 

The design ended up unsticking a lot because paper glue was not strong enough to hold it at such angles. I opted in for using a glue pen, but that ended in disaster as the glue pen I bought was horrible. It had the consistency of saliva and wouldn't stay in one place or stick. I got the glue all over the black part of the body, thankfully it's not as visible anymore. I decided to use superglue to get the body to stick.

I made too many flaps just incase one sided flaps don't work. When glueing the body halves together I cut off the extra flaps on the white side which made it pop out every ten seconds. I re-printed the part and cut off the flaps on the black side and wedged in the white part. This time it didn't fall out.

In the original design, the nose kept popping off a lot, so I cut a hole in the face and wedged it in, while glueing the nose flaps to the inside of the head


Some other stupid mistakes made

  • The black part of the head was glued inside out so I had to use a black marker to hide the dashes
  • I forgot to cut a hole for the nose initially, so I had to manually cut it myself later at home instead of the laser cutter
  • The white parts got burnt edges on the laser printer, thankfully I could hide them while folding the parts together
  • Forgot to add flaps to a part of the body and a part of the head, making a very visible slit. I re-printed the body. I couldn't re-print the head because I don't have a colour printer to print on black so I cut pieces of black cardstock and glued them to the inside to hide the slits.
  • The penguin still couldn't stand up by itself so I had to re-glue the feet multiple times so I could find a new center of balance. It stands up by itself now.
Photos of the original model



Photo of the flat printout





Comments

Popular Posts