Mesh Mashup: Selection and Refinement of the Saturn Raceway

The New




The Original
Feedback:

During peer feedback, people had a lot to say about the Saturn Raceway. One person said that the place looked too crowded and that one car conveys the message of a raceway the same way one car can do. The ring was too narrow and the cars looked uncomfortable. I decided to just put one car in the new version and to make the ring wider.

Another comment that was made was that the rocket looked out of place. At first I thought that it was an absurd comment as rockets belong in space. Later when I looked at the project again I saw what they meant. The rocket was just placed there as a decoration rather than a functional part of the piece. In the new version I put the rocket on the thin ring and made it orbit the planet.

Issue in Meshmixer:

For some reason the colour brush did not work at all, and would instead flatten the model and damage it. I had to get by with the colours in "generate face" option and "shaders". Please excuse the discoloration as I did not have a lot to work with.


Remix Culture:

My creation relates to remix culture because it is an entirely new object created using models made by other people by placing them in a new way. My idea in itself isn't super original either as I have definitely seen a race on Saturn rings in an episode of Phineas and Ferb, but unlike the cartoon the asteroid belt has been replaced by an actual raceway.

Our society is based on read write culture. There is almost 7.7 billion people in the world so having an original idea is almost impossible. There is always an idea that will be redone. It is good to just take advantage of that situation and reuse the ideas of other people to inspire you to create something completely new. My project is a new idea made using simple well known objects.


Comments

Popular Posts