HD Render Final of Umbrella Ballerina (Saturn Raceway is abandoned)

 


Why I Changed the Object

After a lot of thinking I decided to abandon the saturn raceway. The reason is because I think it's not interesting or original enough. The whole idea for a raceway on Saturn's rings came from a cartoon, it was never my idea to begin with. It is not as interesting as the Ballerina Umbrella because it makes no modifications to the original model and the use of spheres and circles makes it simplistic and low effort. The rocket was just slapped on there because I needed to use two objects from thingiverse. I cannot imagine this object as a statue in a museum. The Saturn Raceway would have worked better if it was set in motion, but as a stationary object it isn't as interesting. 

The Ballerina Umbrella is another one of my objects that got a lot of positive feedback. Unlike the Saturn Raceway, this object works just as well without motion. The pose of the bottom ballerina implies motion even though it is stationary. I can see this object spinning inside a music box, or turning it into a fountain, or making it a tabletop statue. I have put a lot more effort into this object and it feels more like my own creation rather than a couple pre-set objects slapped together.

The Process and Fixing Issues:

Due to the limits of Tinkercad I had to use a flat key charm version of a ballerina which was not my initial idea as I wanted to use a different model. 


I was able to achieve my intended result in Meshmixer. I decided to make both of the ballerinas a metal object as to signify that they are part of the umbrella. I made the top ballerina a different colour to separate her from the bottom ballerina. 


I decided to change the pose up a little bit by moving the arm around. The original models didn't separate the the dress from the body and it also didn't have underwear, so I had to draw those on in Meshmixer.


While selecting the arms to make them a different colour from the dress, Meshmixer made them into different face groups and I couldn't figure out how to remove them until later on after looking up a tutorial.


The top ballerina had a more detailed head model so I copied it over to the bottom one. While copying the head, Meshmixer made the model low-poly for some reason. I didn't notice until after moving to Rhino. I fixed this issue later while doing the final renders.



After making sure that everything is placed correctly I decided to move to Rhino.


In Rhino I decided to change a couple of things. I noticed the head issue and made it high-res like intended. I also made the bottom ballerina a person rather than a metal object. I had to seperate the hair and the skin. This was a bit challenging as from some reason Meshmixer didn't want to select one of the ears while in the smooth boundary option. I didn't notice this until porting the model into Rhino. Since I already closed Meshmixer I couldn't undo, so I just copied the ear and reconnected it with the face, which worked out really well.


I kept the top ballerina metal as she is part of the umbrella.


I also gave the bottom ballerina some ballet shoes and a wooden stand.



I used three spotlights to light the figure. The render time took about 1 minute per picture which was way faster than I anticipated.


Thingiverse Model Links


Tinkercad low-res ballerinas:







Comments

Popular Posts