Ring Binder

     

    Inspiration

    In response to the the film Objectified by Gary Hustwit, I have created an object in Tinkercad. The film really made me think of the complicated design of objects that everyone thinks are simple. I looked around my room for the most common objects that I use and I stumbled upon my ring binder that I use for school. 

   The Ring Mechanism

    The original ring binder made by Friedrich Soennecken in 1886 had round rings. The modern binder has half-circle rings with one straight side so that paper does not wind around the ring but instead stays flat, allowing for the binder to close easier. There are also small switches on the edges that when pressed open all the rings at once, making the pressure spread evenly and preventing the rings from bending out of shape from too much force on one ring at a time. 

   Pockets

    The rings are not on the spine but are on the back panel. this keeps the papers flat when the binder is closed since the rings themselves will not rotate, but the cover will come around them. Classic binders have a transparent pocket at the front and on the spine into which a paper can be inserted to title the binder. This allows to easily re-use the binder as it is easy to re-title it. Some binders have pockets on the inside in order to store loose papers that have not yet been hole punched.










Comments

Popular Posts